Static Bag Testing Services
With electronic components getting smaller and more sensitive, it’s critical to ensure they’re protected against ESD events such as static discharge. According to ANSI/ESD S20.20, “Protective packaging is required to store, transport, and protect ESDS electronic items during all phases of production.” As stated in the updated 2018 requirements for ANSI/ESD S541, the shielding requirement was changed that subsequent discharge for the bags should be less than 20 nanojoules. The Pink Poly bag is one of the more commonly used low charging bags. Pink Poly bags are made from a tinted polyethylene material with an antistatic coating that might wear away. This turns the bag insulative over time, making it no longer in compliance with ANSI/ESD S541 recommendations. They are also lacking discharge shielding protection which allows components in the bag to be vulnerable to ESD event damage. Metallized Shielding bags are manufactured with a metalized polyester film and a low charging polyethylene laminate. This film provides SCS bags with a shielding layer which creates a Faraday cage that protects the ESD-sensitive components in the bag from the chance of ESD event damage. The low charging layers of the bag prevent tribocharging from occurring, which minimizes the buildup of ESD charges when handling components.
Have you ever been questioned about the shelf life of ESD bags by your quality manager? Perhaps it is an internal quality procedure that’sbeing written and you’d like to know where the manufacturer stands on the shelf life of ESD packaging. Well, today we will discuss the details of ESD Static Control bag storage and how it relates to expected shelf life. There are 1000’s of variations to consider when discussing shelf life. Heat, conditions of the storage rack, travel method, and local climate to name a few, so the key points are:
- Avoid extremes: Hot, cold, sunlight, moisture, add controls when possible
- In a controlled environment, our ESD bags have seen 5 yrs. of proven shelf life.
- Follow the FIFO process as a best practice for inventory.
- ESD static bag manufacturers that we represent has a 1 yr warranty from the date of purchase. You need to audit annually or prior to use as a best practice and to be sure that your devices are getting the best protection.
- If your bags are questionable, recycle them at your local recycler and order more from Restronics Southern California.